Founded in 2015 by Davis Land + James Leaf, Alien Mouth has been a journal I’ve been wandering thru the pages of for a while. Putting out a monthly online journal + print quarterly, Alien Mouth publishes some rad writers and creatives. Prose (including essays, reviews, fiction), poetry, and visual art are published in print + digitally, and their online edition also incorporates music. The Fall 2015 Quarterly costs less than your dinner. Take a bite.
What I dig about Alien Mouth:
- Clean focus on the poetry and content rather than how ‘established’ a writer is
- Interactive with the literary community beyond the common ‘publish / promote / move on’ model. They recently hosted an online open mic, ALIEN MOUTH vs TINY CHAT, to celebrate the release of their Fall Quarterly.
- Davis Land + James Leaf put forth a lot of effort to be inclusive of all identities in their publications.
And now I’d like to share some of my favorites published in their online journal:
- “Eric Baker’s Guide to Selling Real Estate” by Eric Baker
- “You Remind Me Of A Sound Like Brushing Hair” by Beyza Ozer
- “Where We Left Off” by Dalton Day
- “Passivity In The Face Of” by Dakota Parobek & Rachel Hyman
- “Sway” by Ebony Stewart
- “Branding, 2015” by Alex Russell
- “Today” by Kayla Wheeler
Alien Mouth accepts submissions to their Quarterly + online journal simultaneously. The deadline for the January Quarterly edition is December 23rd at Midnight. For more information, check out their website, Facebook and Twitter.