Hi friends! Small update this week, as we’re chugging along through the editing process 🙂
This last week I began hearing back from the writers, getting feedback on my first wave of suggestions! Additionally, we started work on a few different things:
- Lineup–openers and closers are especially important for any collection, and I had a few suggestions for moving pieces around to best show off a writer’s theme/focus
- Back Cover Excerpt–also began discussing pull-quotes for the back cover of each chap. Some writers prefer to hunt down their own selections, while others asked me to find a handful first, which they used to decide from
- Back Cover Blurbs–everyone has already or will be reaching out soon to other writers they admire for back cover blurbs 🙂 I really love having 2 of these if possible for each chap, as I feel a blurb is 2nd only to a cover in terms of grabbing a potential reader’s attention!
- Typeface–everyone has their own favorite typeface, and I like how different fonts convey different personalities. We’ve figured this out 🙂
- Margins–Had a good talk with Craig about printing specs, and I’ve already begun reshaping some of the MSS to accommodate the much-smaller sized paper. Fun Fact: a ~22 page chap on 8.5″ x 11″ becomes nearly 34 pages when shrunk down to ~5″ x ~7″
Otherwise, I plan to circle up with the writers through this weekend, showing them Chuck’s initial thoughts regarding cover art. Then I’ll take these reactions and continue the hunt for a quality cover 🙂
Oh, and lastly(!): this last weekend Jeremiah attended the d.a. levy-palooza 3 alongside 2015 Winners Sarah Certa + August Smith for a special reading in Brooklyn. Since Nostrovia! was showcased as a featured press, Jeremiah and his Books & Shovels team took many pictures to document the occasion–expect a mega tavern post soon with more details!!
Otherwise, see you next week!
We’ll have a new Tavern post each Wednesday, giving an inside look at the N! process, so stay tuned for more updates!